[openstack-dev] [Horizon][OSC][Nova][Neutron] Launch instance with Floating IP

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 6 21:39:10 UTC 2016

On 9/6/2016 2:48 PM, Martin Millnert wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Goal:
>
> I'd like to replicate the industry standard of providing a on-by-
> default (UI) option to auto-assign a floating IP to a newly launched
> instance. It must be toggleable however (to follow industry standard).

Floating IPs aren't required in OpenStack deployments, and anyone
running with cells v1 (Rackspace, GoDaddy, NeCTAR, CERN) doesn't use or
support them, at least without patching Nova. So I'm not sure what
'industry standard' is being referred to here.

> With openstackclient I'm hoping the feature could be added through e.g
> "--auto-assign-floating-ip", where it is unspecified where the stateful
> glue logic actually resides.
>

>   Scenario:
>
> We use Horizon as UI and OpenContrail as VPC provider, where our
> virtual networks by default really are private networks, e.g. following
> actual industry standard VPC behaviour.
>
> Our users are today required to themselves perform the Assign Floating
> IP operation [1] operation before their instance has achieved what 98%
> of users desire. So this is both unexpected for users and likewise far
> from industry standard (defaults should make a happy user).
>

>   Problem:
>
> Recognizing that deployments are different, and this probably won't
> satisfy 100% of deployments architecture, there is furthermore the
> unfortunate situation of:
>  - nova: we're not adding anything

Correct, nova provides the APIs to do this already, something sitting on
top just needs to use them to orchestrate your use case.

>  - horizon: UI's not a brain
>
> I'm aware of the "--get-me-a-network" effort which is admirable. I
> haven't been on top of its progress, but from what I understand today
> it hasn't seen the light of day yet. Any update aligned with my goal
> would be helpful.

The get-me-a-network work is complete with the 2.37 API microversion in
Nova and the 6.0.0 python-novaclient release. You can test it out today.
However, it does not allocate and auto-assign a floating IP.

> So how can one solve an OpenStack cross-project problem like this,
> possibly without having to implement an artificial superintelligence
> first?

Orchestrate on top of Nova's APIs, either in your own CLI, or UI, or
maybe even Heat would support this.