[openstack-dev] [oslo] [telemetry] Oslo.db 4.13.1 broke Gnocchi

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:41:08 UTC 2016

Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:29:04PM -0400, Mike Bayer wrote:
>> is the failure here something that comes up in gnocchi's test suite?
>>
>> Could there be some way that oslo libraries run the test suites of all
>> consuming projects before a patch and/or a release?  (apologies if we
>> already do this).
>
> There are a couple of ways to do this.
>
> Build an integration style job or enhance the cross-project gateing stuff we
> use in requirements.  Either is doable the challenge will be deciding which
> projects to use/balancing gate resources.
>
> If you look at the repos managed my the requirements team[1] there are 40
> users of oslo.db[2].  If you look at all the repos listed in [3] That number grows
> to 66.  Clearly gating on all of them isn't viable.
>
> Ther are lots of ways to do this better, especially in a one of in-formal
> fashion.  I wonder if it's worth trting to define a really easy way for
> everyone.

Ya, also the fact that we have the following to:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo#Periodic

We catch some of these issues via that but some still get through
(because as u said 66+ projects and periodically running them is
non-trivial of a problem).

I'd be more than open to new ideas and new solutions here though,
because it helps the quality of everything improve if we have those (and
also makes it so people don't yell 'u broke me' at the oslo folks, ha).