[openstack-dev] [neutron]Table renames in the contract phase in db upgrade breaks rolling upgrade from Mitaka to Newton

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 16:07:08 UTC 2016

Gyorgy Szombathelyi <gyorgy.szombathelyi at doclerholding.com> wrote:

> [...]

The split is a foundational work for the next step of forbidding any data
migration in contraction phase, and postponing schema contraction to later
when it’s safe to execute it (+2 releases from the time of the
corresponding expansion schema change). I agree that the way it’s
implemented just now is not saving much time, and does not provide you with
no downtime. We are looking into this direction though, so stay tuned.

>>> - Actually what would be the workflow for a downtime-less upgrade?
>>> From Liberty to Mitaka it worked fairly good, even without using
>>> expand-contract.
>>
>> Depending on what you mean by asking for downtime-less. If it’s data plane
>> wise, current agents should be able to work and upgrade without disrupting
>> any data flows. If you suggest that neutron API should be available at all
>> times, then this scenario is just not supported at this moment.
>>
>> While your mileage may vary, I really doubt you could safely upgrade L->M
>> without API downtime. You are either lucky, or you just haven’t noticed
>> some failures. The way we currently handle database access does not
>> accommodate for no-downtime upgrade process for api endpoints. We are
>> looking into implementing some form of it in Ocata, but only time will
>> tell if
>> we succeed to deliver. Until then, you can’t avoid API downtime.
>
> Since the old instances could work more or less with the new SQL schema
> (at least
> I didn't notice any immediate failures, and looking at the Mitaka
> contract code, it
> is not so intrusive), it was fairly good with this process:
> - remove one neutron-server from the LB
> - upgrade it
> - upgrade the schema
> - put it back to the LB
> - remove the other neutron-servers from the LB
> - upgrade them
> - put back them to the LB

Then you were lucky. :)

> From Mitaka to Newton, the new instance immediately fails because of the
> renaming
> ml2_dvr_port_bindings and ml2_network_segments tables, and the old
> instances
> also fail if they started after the renames (contract).
> But if it is designed this way, I should accept it then.

Yeah, it was never meant to work. If it worked for your isolated case, it’s
pure luck. You should have bought a lottery ticket!

Ihar