[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

Alon Marx ALONMA at il.ibm.com
Tue Sep 6 15:27:42 UTC 2016

I want to share our plans to open the IBM Storage driver source code.
Historically we started our way in cinder way back (in Essex if I'm not
mistaken) with just a small piece of code in the community while keeping
most of the driver code closed. Since then the code has grown, but we kept
with the same format. We would like now to open the driver source code,
while keeping the connectivity to the storage as closed source.
I believe that there are other cinder drivers that have some stuff in
proprietary libraries. I want to propose and formalize the principles to
where we draw the line (this has also been discussed in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/341780/) on what's acceptable by the
community.
Based on previous discussion I understand that the rule of thumb is "as
long as the majority of the driver logic is in the public driver" the
community would be fine with that. Is this acceptable to the community?

Regards,
Alon