[openstack-dev] [neutron]Table renames in the contract phase in db upgrade breaks rolling upgrade from Mitaka to Newton

Gyorgy Szombathelyi gyorgy.szombathelyi at doclerholding.com
Tue Sep 6 14:50:06 UTC 2016

Hi!

Maybe I'm overseeing something, but I'm wondering if table renames breaks rolling upgrades.
E.g. if I'm upgrading neutron server instances one-by-one, and doing a db expand during the process,
the old neutron-server instances will continue to work. However, without the new renamed tables, the
new instances won't work.  Just would be good to know:
- In this form, why the expand phase is useful? The expanded database won't work with a new server instance, and it is not required for the older ones.
- Actually what would be the workflow for a downtime-less upgrade? From Liberty to Mitaka it worked fairly good, even without
using expand-contract.

Br,
György