[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-4, 5 - 9 Sept

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Sep 2 15:55:20 UTC 2016

Focus
-----

The feature freeze deadline was 1 Sept. All project teams should
be working on stabilization and last minute feature freeze exceptions.

General Notes
-------------

We are in the stabilization period before we prepare release
candidates during R-3.

All libraries are frozen and will only see updates for release-critical
bugs.

The global requirements and constraints lists are frozen except for
release-critical bugs.

We have created stable/newton branches for all libraries except
tripleo-common (because it follows the cycle-trailing release model).

We are in the soft string freeze period. Do not modify user-facing
strings. See
https://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html#soft-stringfreeze for
details.

Release Actions
---------------

Creating a stable branch may also create up to 3 patches to update
the .gitreview file, update the reno configuration for the series,
and to update the constraints URL. These are generated automatically,
and because some of the things they try to modify are not consistent
they may not all work. Please look for the patches and clean them
up by hand if you need to in order for them to pass tests and merge.

Review the members of your $project-release group in gerrit, based
on the instructions Thierry sent on 15 Aug.

Watch for translation patches and merge them quickly to ensure we
have as many user-facing strings translated as possible in the
release candidates.

Be prepared to have a release candidate tagged by 15 Sept, but wait
as late as possible to include as many bug fixes and translations
as possible. This also avoids having a second release candidate
quickly after the first, and therefore indicating to consumers that
they may want to ignore those initial release candidates.

Liaisons for projects with independent deliverables should import
the release history by preparing patches to openstack/releases.

Important Dates