[openstack-dev] [kolla] Problem regarding named volume data location

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Fri Sep 2 15:48:57 UTC 2016

Hi Kolla,

We have been experiencing a long running issue with Kolla that I have
brought up briefly a few times, but not made too much noise about.

I'm taking the time to write about it in the hopes that a) as a
community we may be able to solve it, and b) if other operators start
complaining down the line we'll have discussed it.

The issue is that right now all data is stored using named volumes under
/var/lib/docker. We have encountered users who are not happy with this.
As well as issues of scale, even with a large /var/ partition this is
liable to fill up fast, as (in a default setup) it has to store both
docker images, glance images, nova instance data, and other potentially
large files such as logs. It's not typical for operators to be expected
to store all of this on one partition, and doesn't offer the choice
expected from a standard (non containerised) deploy.

In our Kilo based solution we were solving this using host bind mounts,
e.g. -v /var/lib/nova:/var/lib/nova, where the directory on the left
hand side can be mounted wherever you like. Two major issues with this
approach are:

1) Kolla tasks have to be refactored in many places to replace
"nova_data:/var/lib/kolla" with "/var/lib/nova:/var/lib/nova" (easily
solvable)

2) This appears to be incompatible with the 'drop root' work done, as
even though /var/lib/nova is created and chowned during the build
process, it's permissions are replaced with those of root when bind
mounted from the host.

Other avenues I've explored are seeing the docker volume driver can be
configured to place data elsewhere (appears not), and symlinking the
location of the volume to another filesystem as suggested by Michał.
Symlinking unfortunately also appears to not play well with the Docker
volume mechanisms.

Do people see this is a potential limitation of Kolla (or maybe
Docker?), or are we (and our users) being unreasonable in expecting to
be able to place data on more than one filesystem?

Thanks,
-Paul