[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova][neutron][all] Rolling upgrades: database triggers and oslo.versionedobjects

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 17:50:14 UTC 2016

On 09/01/2016 11:52 AM, Dan Smith wrote:

> The indirection service is really unrelated to this discussion, IMHO. If
> you take RPC out of the picture, all you have left is a
> direct-to-the-database facade to handle the fact that schema has
> expanded underneath you. As Clint (et al) have said -- designing the
> application to expect schema expansion (and avoiding unnecessary
> contraction) is the key here.

pretty much.  there's no fixed pattern in how to do these.  Every
version of a data access API will be weighed down with baggage from the
previous version and an inability to take full advantage of new
improvements until the next release, and background migrations are
complicated by the old application undoing their work.  Even small
migrations mean all these issues have to be considered each time on a
case-by-case basis.   These are the problems people are hoping to
improve upon if possible.   The spec at
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/331740/ is discussing these issues in
detail and is the first such specification I've seen that tries to get
into it at this level.