[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Debugging slow Xenial gate

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Fri Oct 28 08:17:29 UTC 2016

On 10/28/2016 01:44 AM, Mike Carden wrote:
> I bounced this off my 'distro differences' goto guy, Chris Smart. Here are his thoughts:
>
> "Run the 14.04 kernel on 16.04 system and re-run the tests to see if it's
> kernel related.
>
> If 16.04 userland with 14.04 kernel is as fast as Ubuntu 14.04, then
> compare the kernel .config files to see if there were major changes,
> like switching out schedulers.

14.04 with 16.04's kernel is actually just a small amount (~ 3-5%) faster than 14.04 with its standard kernel.

> Also, when running the tests on both systems, track cpu usage and number
> of threads to see if one has more restrictions than the other.

Almost no difference here.

> Check swappiness and also "vmstat 1" to see if you're getting more pages
> swapped in and out in 16.04.

No difference here, either.

> I'm assuming that the two virtual machines are identical (CPU type, memory,
> threads, virtio, etc)."

They are!  We've seen this occur in the OpenStack CI jobs (with KVM), and I've also tested this with Xen and bare metal.

--
Major Hayden