[openstack-dev] [requirements][lbaas] gunicorn to g-r

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:49:38 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Harwell <flux.adam at gmail.com>
Date: October 19, 2016 at 08:44:31
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [requirements][lbaas] gunicorn to g-r

> Yes, but we need to use SOMETHING for our own devstack gate tests -- maybe
> it is easier to think of our devstack code as a "third party setup", and
> that it uses gunicorn for its DIB images (but not every deployer needs to).
> In this case, how do we include it? Devstack needs it to run our gate jobs,
> which means it has to be in our main codebase, but deployers don't
> necessarily need it for their deployments (though it is the default option).
> Do we include it in global-requirements or not? How do we use it in
> devstack if it is not in global-requirements? We don't install it as a
> binary because the plan is to stay completely distro-independant (or target
> a distro that doesn't even HAVE binary packages like cirros). Originally I
> just put the line "pip install gunicorn>=19.0" directly in our DIB script,
> but was told that was a dirty hack, and that it should be in
> requirements.txt like everything else. I'm not sure I agree, and it seems
> like maybe others are suggesting I go back to that method?
>
> --Adam

I'm still not clear as to why Tony isn't in favor of this. No one really has clear technical objects to gunicorn itself. It's maintained, up-to-date, and reliable (even if not the de facto OpenStack choice for running an OpenSack service ... which you're not doing).

I would agree that having it in g-r and in your requirements.txt makes the most sense. Especially since Monty did an excellent job explaining why not everyone will want to use pip+Aline/cirros. In my opinion, we just need to understand why people are still opposed to this being in g-r and your requirements.txt so that you can move along.
--
Ian Cordasco