[openstack-dev] [requirements][lbaas] gunicorn to g-r

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Oct 19 12:58:29 UTC 2016

On 10/18/2016 07:05 PM, Adam Harwell wrote:
>     What if operating systems would be the same?
>
> We still want to install from pypi, because we still want deployers to
> build images for their cloud using our DIB elements. There is absolutely
> no situation in which I can imagine we'd want to install a binary
> packaged version of this. There's a VERY high chance we will soon be
> using a distro that isn't even a supported OpenStack deploy target...
>

>     As a Debian package maintainer, I really prefer if the underlying images
>     can also be Debian (and preferably Debian stable everywhere).
>
> Sure, I love Debian too, but we're investigating things like Alpine and
> Cirros as our base image, and there's pretty much zero chance anyone
> will package ANY of our deps for those distros. Cirros doesn't even have
> a package manager AFAIK.

YOUR preference may not be the same as the ones deploying. For example,
if I was to deploy, I'd prefer if all components where from a single
distribution vendor, even if the image gets bigger at the end. It is
easier to address security vulnerabilities this way (ie: you only need
to watch for a single vendor updates).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)