[openstack-dev] [devstack][CI] Etcd server setuped in devstack script can not be reached in CI unit tests

Wenzhi Yu (yuywz) wenzhi_yu at 163.com
Wed Oct 19 02:08:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I intended to use etcd as data store for Zun project. So I installed docker and started a docker container with an etcd server running in it using
devstack script.  The etcd server listens on 127.0.0.1:2379 for client requests. And per CI log [1] the container had been started successfully and
functioned well (I added some test code and etcd server is available on 127.0.0.1:2379).

But during the execution of unit test cases, the connection to 127.0.0.1:2379 became inavailable [2], all the cases tried to connect to etcd server
failed. I did some investigation and found that the test cases were running in an isolated network environment (maybe within an container?).
So the etcd server can not be reached via 127.0.0.1:2379 during test run.

I intended to configure etcd server to listen on an IP address which can be reached from the test envrionment, but I realized that even if I did that,
it's not easy to query that IP address in test cases. An alternative method is to forward the request sent to 127.0.0.1:2379 of test environment to
corresponding socket of the environment inwhich the etcd container is running.

Now I have no idea how to deal with this issue, please help me out! Thanks in advance!

[1]http://paste.openstack.org/show/586299/
[2]http://paste.openstack.org/show/586310/
2016-10-19

Best Regards,