[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [neutron] upgrade from liberty to mitaka

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Sun Oct 16 18:01:33 UTC 2016

Richard Woo <richardwoo2003 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ihar,
>
> Thanks for your reply, seems like the fwaas is install when installed
> neutron server:
>
> root at controller-01:~# dpkg -l | grep neutron
> ii  neutron-common
> 2:8.2.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          Neutron is a virtual
> network service for Openstack - common
> ii  neutron-plugin-ml2
> 2:8.2.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          Neutron is a virtual
> network service for Openstack - ML2 plugin
> ii  neutron-server
> 2:8.2.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          Neutron is a virtual
> network service for Openstack - server
> ii  python-neutron
> 2:8.2.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          Neutron is a virtual
> network service for Openstack - Python library
> ii  python-neutron-fwaas
> 1:7.1.1-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          Firewall-as-a-Service
> driver for OpenStack Neutron
> ii  python-neutron-lib
> 0.0.2-2~cloud0                        all          Neutron shared
> routines and utilities - Python 2.7
> ii  python-neutronclient
> 1:3.1.0-0ubuntu1~cloud0               all          client API library for
> Neutron
> root at controller-01:~# apt-get remove python-neutron-fwaas
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   ipset libipset3 libmnl0 python-neutron python-neutron-lib python-openvswitch
> Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   neutron-common neutron-plugin-ml2 neutron-server python-neutron-fwaas
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 30 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 1,149 kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
> root at controller-01:~#

I know you solved your issue already, but I just want to comment on the
packaging behaviour you see.

I don’t believe that your distribution set dependencies right: you should
be able to install your system without fwaas code at all, it’s meant to be
a plugin, not a dependency for neutron-server.

Now, it may be the case that due to defaults chosen by debian packages
default configuration files for the neutron-server service do not work
unless you also pull in neutron-fwaas. Maybe it’s something historical. But
ideally, you should be able to run a bare neutron-server with just the code
from openstack/neutron repo.

Ihar