[openstack-dev] [all] running non-devstack jobs in Python projects aka "it works outside devstack"

Brian Haley brian.haley at hpe.com
Sat Oct 15 01:19:14 UTC 2016

On 10/14/2016 05:53 PM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 05:47 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>> Greetings OpenStack,
>>
>> == Background
>>
>> Since the beginning of OpenStack (or almost), devstack has been used
>> as a common tool to deploy OpenStack in CI environment. Most of
>> OpenStack projects (if not all) that are written in Python use it to
>> deploy the different components.
>> While devstack became popular and the reference in term of deployment
>> tool for continuous integration, devstack doesn't deploy OpenStack in
>> production (versus some tools like Kolla, Fuel, TripleO, Juju, etc).
>> It means things might (and did) break when deploying OpenStack outside
>> devstack, for different reasons. Some examples:
>>
>> * until recently, SSL was not tested, and I believe some projects
>> still don't test with SSL enabled.
>> * IPv6 is not tested everywhere.
<snip>

> IPv6 testing likely means two different things to two different groups
> of people. First is whether or not the cloud endpoints are hosted over
> IPv6 and the other is whether or not instances launched by openstack are
> assigned IPv6 addresses. The second thing has been tested for quite a
> while now (tempest has had tests for it for almost 2 years though it
> hasn't been enabled in the gate for that long). We should definitely
> ensure that we are testing with openstack servers listening on IPv6
> addresses as well.

The first item - IPv6 service endpoints, is actually covered by an experimental
job (tempest-dsvm-neutron-serviceipv6), and devstack supports it in local.conf:

SERVICE_IP_VERSION=6

Last year it was working great, bug I've noticed there are failures now, I'll
take a crack at getting it all working again.  Maybe it's something we could
then promote to voting?

-Brian