[openstack-dev] [all] running non-devstack jobs in Python projects aka "it works outside devstack"

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Oct 14 21:53:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 05:47 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Greetings OpenStack,
>
> == Background
>
> Since the beginning of OpenStack (or almost), devstack has been used
> as a common tool to deploy OpenStack in CI environment. Most of
> OpenStack projects (if not all) that are written in Python use it to
> deploy the different components.
> While devstack became popular and the reference in term of deployment
> tool for continuous integration, devstack doesn't deploy OpenStack in
> production (versus some tools like Kolla, Fuel, TripleO, Juju, etc).
> It means things might (and did) break when deploying OpenStack outside
> devstack, for different reasons. Some examples:
>
> * until recently, SSL was not tested, and I believe some projects
> still don't test with SSL enabled.
> * IPv6 is not tested everywhere.
> * Production scenarios, with HA (HAproxy or/and Pacemaker) are not
> tested.

I am a little late, but wanted to clarify some things here. You are
correct that SSL was not tested until very recently. However, any
project running the "base" neutron and nova net tempest jobs is now
being tested with the tls-proxy service enabled in devstack (for
>=ocata). There is also a growing list of other jobs that are adding
support for this. My hope is that during the ocata cycle we would enable
it by default in devstack and projects that explicitly do not work
disable it (rather than the current explicit enable where it functions).

IPv6 testing likely means two different things to two different groups
of people. First is whether or not the cloud endpoints are hosted over
IPv6 and the other is whether or not instances launched by openstack are
assigned IPv6 addresses. The second thing has been tested for quite a
while now (tempest has had tests for it for almost 2 years though it
hasn't been enabled in the gate for that long). We should definitely
ensure that we are testing with openstack servers listening on IPv6
addresses as well.

I mention this because I think these are both things that devstack
should support and test, and while experimental jobs to run other
deployment tests can only help they are not a substitute for fixing
these things in devstack.

With that out of the way I think having a diverse set of testing can
only help make OpenStack better especially for your more production like
scenarios. Devstack has very explicitly been a development tool so not
sure that those scenarios need to be supported by it.

Clark