[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG space request

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 09:23:45 UTC 2016

> > > Indeed, I totally agree.
> > >
> > > While at this stage we can't *guarantee* space for TripleO, I really
> > > hope that we'll be able to provide space. One interesting factor is that
> > > there should be less tension for space in the "horizontal" part of the
> > > week than in the "vertical" part of the week**. TripleO's cross-cutting
> > > nature makes it a good fit for the "horizontal" segment, so I'm hopeful
> > > we can make that work. We should know very soon, once we collect the
> > > results of the PTL survey. Stay tuned!
> > >
> > > ** The PTG week is split between horizontal team meetings
> > > (Monday/Tuesday) and vertical team meetings (Wednesday-Friday). As we
> > > have more vertical teams than horizontal teams (and the space is the
> > > same size), we /should/ have more flexibility to add horizontal stuff.
> >
> > This split in the PTG week raises an obvious question ...
> >
> > Do we expect the horizontal folks to skip town by mid-week, or to hang
> > around without a home-room in order to talk to the vertical folks who
> > put the "project" in "cross-project"?
> >
> > Conversely, do we expect the vertical teams to turn up on the Monday in
> > order to collaborate with the horizontal teams? (similarly without a
> > project room for the first 2 days?)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Eoghan
> >

> We expect the "horizontal folks" and "vertical teams" to be the same
> people, focusing on different things on different days of the week. We
> *hope* to enable more contributions to horizontal teams as a result.

OK, that assumption could be at least partially true, especially for say
horizontal efforts such as release-mgmt, VMT, upgrades, API-WG & such,
and in general the type of concerns that are generally aired on the cross-
project track at summit.

However it misses the fact that TripleO, as well as having many touch-points
with other projects, also has its own vertical personality as an individual
project, and so will also need space to have discussions about issues more
internal to the project.

For such a project, assigning it to the horizontal bucket (Wed-Fri) feels
more appropriate. I'd expect joint sessions between projects (e.g.TripleO/
Ironic or Nova/Cinder) would still be help during the "vertical" portion
of the week, especially if there's a trend towards some project-specific
contributors limiting their attendance to those 3 days.

Cheers,
Eoghan