[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-wg/news

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 17:25:11 UTC 2016

Greetings OpenStack community,

Today's meeting began with a quick review of the API usability tests
that are being conducted at the Barcelona Summit[7]. We also had two
lively discussions which took up most of the meeting: one about
collecting and improving error messages across OpenStack, and the other
about request semantics with regards to GET and body processing. All
interested parties can find the logs in the usual place [5] for the full
details.

In the first conversation, Eddie Ramirez shared some work that he and
his team have been creating to help improve how we consume errors in
OpenStack. So far, they have done work collecting errors from a few of
the most common projects and have incorporated this effort into an error
knowledge base website[8]. There is some great work here, and we look
forward to this process advancing with help from the greater OpenStack
community, here is an etherpad where some ideas have been collected[9].

The other conversation was brought by Ed Leafe and concerns how GET
requests can be filtered by using either request URL parameters or by
adding a body to the request. This topic is in relation to a spec[10]
currently winding its way through the Nova project, and the sincere
desire of that team to create an API guideline to help define their process.

All in all, a great meeting with good participation and several
interesting topics.

# New guidelines

There are no new guidelines that have been merged this week, but we did
accept a change to the landing page.

* add a warning about json expectations
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/364460/

# API guidelines that have been recently merged

Nothing new in the recent past.

# API guidelines proposed for freeze

The following guidelines are available for broader review by interested
parties. These will be merged in one week if there is no further feedback.

No new guidelines proposed for freeze this week

# Guidelines currently under review [6]

* Specify time intervals based filtering queries
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/383862/

# API Impact reviews currently open

Reviews marked as APIImpact [1] are meant to help inform the working
group about changes which would benefit from wider inspection by group
members and liaisons. While the working group will attempt to address
these reviews whenever possible, it is highly recommended that
interested parties attend the API WG meetings [2] to promote
communication surrounding their reviews.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack
API Working Group [3].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+AND+(message:ApiImpact+OR+message:APIImpact),n,z
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/API-WG#Agenda
[3] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/