[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 12 16:32:36 UTC 2016

Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> On 12 October 2016 at 08:53, John Davidge <John.Davidge at rackspace.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> Also, unless I've missed something, we still don't know the registration
>> fees for the PTG and the new Summit do we? Last I remember, there was talk
>> of a registration fee for the PTG, and then a Summit discount for PTG
>> attendees[1]. Is that still the plan?

Current plan is for the PTG to have a nominal cost (to maximize the
chances that someone registered will actually show up), and then people
physically attending PTG would get a discount to attend next summit
(rather than "recent contributors").

Obviously (Cost of PTG + Cost of Summit) will still be superior to Cost
of Summit, but that helps in keeping it reasonable.

>> Surely the PTG will need to be free to attend, otherwise isn't it better
>> for project teams to simply shift our existing mid-cycles to the PTG
>> timeframe with an altered focus to save money? Genuine question.
>
> So if PTG is meant to just "hang out with your dev team", that's midcycle.

PTG is also "hang out with other teams". The midcycles setup was
arguably slightly cheaper, but reinforced the upstream silos as a result.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)