[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Exposing project team's metadata in README files

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 12:50:03 UTC 2016

Greetings,

One of the common complains about the existing project organization in the big
tent is that it's difficult to wrap our heads around the many projects there
are, their current state (in/out the big tent), their tags, etc.

This information is available on the governance website[0]. Each official
project team has a page there containing the information related to the
deliverables managed by that team. Unfortunately, I don't think this page is
checked often enough and I believe it's not known by everyone.

In the hope that we can make this information clearer to people browsing the
many repos (most likely on github), I'd like to propose that we include the
information of each deliverable in the readme file. This information would be
rendered along with the rest of the readme (at least on Github, which might not
be our main repo but it's the place most humans go to to check our projects).

Rather than duplicating this information, I'd like to find a way to just
"include it" in the Readme file. As far as showing the "official" badge goes, I
believe it'd be quite simple. We can do it the same way CI tags are exposed when
using travis (just include an image). As for the rest of the tags, it might
require some extra hacking.

So, before I start digging more into this, I wanted to get other opinions/ideas
on this topic and how we can make this information more evident to the rest of
the community (and people not as familiar with our processes as some of us are).

Thanks in advance,
Flavio

[0] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/projects/index.html

--