[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Oct 12 06:42:43 UTC 2016

Tom,

No flame, just observation about the reality of these changes.

I think we missed this communication on the mailing list or in the FAQs or somewhere else.  I think most engineering-focused organizations are looking at the PTGs only and not really considering the summit for budget planning.  If folks knew the operators were only going to be at the OpenStack Summit, I think that may change budget planning for engineering organizations.  Seems like more siloing to me, not less.  We need to integrate OpenStack’s development with Operators as well as the Operator’s customers (the cloud consumers the Operators deliver to).

Does the foundation not want to co-locate the ops summit at the PTG because the ops summit feeds into the OpenStack Summit main ops day(s)?

I don’t have any easy solutions for this problem, but the expectation that project developers are required at 3 week-long events instead of 2 wasn’t clearly communicated and should be rectified beyond a post to the openstack-dev mailing list where most people filter messages by tags (i.e. your message is probably not reaching the correct audience).

Regards
-steve