[openstack-dev] [nova] Development policy updates

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 12 01:04:00 UTC 2016

While reviewing specs I've come across several related to adding more or
exposing existing metrics monitors from nova-compute. At the Newton
midcycle we discussed how we were going to freeze feature requests like
this and start deprecating this capability, at least open-ended until
there is a clear replacement or alternative. None of that is mentioned
in the devref though, so I've posted a change with wording about that here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/385219/

You'll also note there is a change below that one:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/385203/

which updates the 'out of tree' section in that same document to
explicitly point out that hooks/extension points/classloading
managers/services/drivers are also actively being deprecated and
removed. That's a topic that has come up several times over the past few
releases so we need to be clear about it in the documentation.

I've added the nova-core team to both reviews so we're all on the same
page within the core team, but also sending this out as an FYI so
everyone working on the project is aware and can raise concerns in the
reviews if they feel the need.

Matt Riedemann