[openstack-dev] Multinode testing with devstack and neutron broken

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Wed Oct 12 00:58:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016, at 05:14 PM, Carl Baldwin wrote:
> > I found this [1] added here [2]. Since the provider is using 10.0.0.0/8
> > on
> > the public interface, and the subnet pool is also 10.0.0.0/8 the call to
> > ip
> > route replace eliminates the route through the public interface.
>
> It is also an issue if you have multiple subnets within 10/8 and rely on
> your default route to route to them (though I don't think we currently
> have any of these in the gate currently since rackspace sets more
> specific routes for the subnets used for private networking there). This
> would be the case if using a neutron setup with tenant networking and
> floating IPs like we had with the old hpcloud.

Any time we fiddle with the host's routing table with address ranges that
we make up, we run the risk of clashing with something "real". What do we
do? I guess we can try our best to pick ranges that shouldn't clash and try
to minimize how much of the space we use up. Then, for those that get a
clash, we provide the option to override. That's kind of what we've been
doing, right? We could try other tricks to pick more obscure IP ranges that
shouldn't be used anywhere (like 100.64.0.0/10 or the ranges reserved for
documentation, which we do for ipv6) but with so many people competing for
such a small space, I don't know if we can ever pick anything that won't
ever clash. It just doesn't feel like there is a good answer.

Could we instead modify devstack to use a different network namespace (as
in ip nets) to represent the "external" network? I think the real problem
is that we're trying to use the host's real network as the "external
network" for our testing. We are combining any combination of real world
subnets with made up hard-coded default address ranges. If we separated the
two, then there would be no chance for conflict. I'm just thinking out loud
here. There could be all kinds of difficulty with this idea.

Carl