[openstack-dev] Event notification descriptors/schemas (? swagger ?)

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Oct 11 21:13:27 UTC 2016

On 11/10/16 04:18 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:

> To be productive here, would there be any problem if I (or someone I
> know) just split that yaml off into a new git repository, and started
> iterating on figuring out how to turn the yaml into something that can
> generate code for [python, java, go(?)] and then say ceilometer can use
> the python parts/objects (and then others can use the java stuff and
> so-on and so forth). If at some point we can get that same schema (and
> leave the generators somewhere else) into the various projects that
> publish the notifications; that'd be super to...

i should add that i have no idea how accurate those definitions are. i
can only guarantee that at some point in time they were correct which
sort of goes back to why i don't think we (consumers) should be handling it.

i should also add, in addition to event definitions, we have meter
definitions[1] which essentially does same thing but just pulls out
measurement data. so maybe what you're trying to achieve is a stage
before what Ceilometer is trying to achieve aka normalisation.

from Ceilometer POV, we use these yaml files and convert them into
definition python objects[2]. i don't know if this use case can be
covered by your proposal or if it's something you want to target.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/meter/data/meters.yaml
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/declarative.py#L149