[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Thiago da Silva thiago at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 18:35:12 UTC 2016

On 10/11/2016 01:21 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 2016-10-11 12:57 PM, Thiago da Silva wrote:

>>> Agreed.

>>> To me, that’s the crux: “during the election”. When exactly should
>>> that be? Candidates can (and do) declare up to the very last minute
>>> of the nomination window, and ballots go out immediately after that,
>>> and voting starts. There really needs to be a period when a) we know
>>> who all the candidates are, and b) voting has not yet begun. I would
>>> like to see that period be created so that the kind of
>>> question/answer/clarify process you mention can happen.
>> +1
>> Just to add on to that, it would also be nice to have a better place
>> for the questions/answers to be stored.
>
> Have you a suggestion for where you would like to see them?
>
> Also regardless of what is formally set up, anyone can ask questions
> via the mailing list, that option has been used every election that I
> have witnessed, I don't see that changing. I don't think it is
> reasonable to ask officials to curate mailing list posts. I think what
> we are discussing is something in addition to mailing list
> discussions. I don't think anything ever would (or should) replace
> what comes up on the mailing list.
Anita,

Agree that the mailing list is irreplaceable, a lot of of the discussion
would continue to happen here. I also don't think asking anyone to
curate the answers is scalable.

A *suggestion* would be to come up with a set of questions prior to
nomination so that candidates could answer in their self-nomination. Of
course, how we would come up with those questions is then another issue.
Maybe the questions could even be proposed to the election repo[0],
starting with an initial set of questions that are then added on by
others in the community ??? I'm trying to come up with a way to repeat
what you provided in the '14 election without the burden...

Thiago

[0] - https://github.com/openstack/election/tree/master/candidates/ocata/TC