[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Tue Oct 11 17:40:15 UTC 2016

On Oct 11, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

>> There really needs to be a period when a) we know who all the candidates are, and b) voting has not yet begun.
>
> Why?
>
> The voting period is open for a period of several days, voters have the ability to vote at any time during that voting period.

Because many people vote as soon as they receive their ballot. I know that I typically do so that it doesn’t get lost under the flood of email. This wouldn’t be so bad if you could later change your vote, but once it is cast, it can’t be changed. What that means is that if a candidate I knew little about says something that either interests me or turns me off, I can *use* that information.

> A voter can ask the panel of candidates any question they wish such that they are satisfied prior to voting.

Of course; no one has said otherwise. But if someone else asks a question that may not have occurred to me to ask, the answers given can still be influential on my choices. Look at Gordon Chung’s question in this recent cycle: I’m sure that there were lots of people who benefited from that question and the many answers, not just Gordon.

> Additionally should the decision be made to go forward with some form of the candidate answers as I offered to the electorate in October 2014, those answers could be available as platforms are posted such that all responses are available as soon as the poll begins.

I think that this is a great idea, and would be willing to help in the effort to make that happen again.

-- Ed Leafe