[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Oct 11 17:21:45 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-11 12:57 PM, Thiago da Silva wrote:

> On 10/11/2016 12:00 PM, Ed Leafe wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 10:37 AM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Just in case folks care, now is the best time to discuss our
>>> election process and suggest options or changes for the next round
>>> of elections. I'm not adverse to discussing it I just think the best
>>> time for doing so is from the time the last election is over up to
>>> milestone one. Then we have lots of time for ideas and debate and
>>> any suggestions, if accepted, have time to be implemented and
>>> communicated so the process is fair for all, candidates and electorate.
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> During the election is a wonderful time for posing questions to
>>> candidates in order to clarify their position or stance such that
>>> the electorate can make an informed choice.
>> To me, that’s the crux: “during the election”. When exactly should
>> that be? Candidates can (and do) declare up to the very last minute
>> of the nomination window, and ballots go out immediately after that,
>> and voting starts. There really needs to be a period when a) we know
>> who all the candidates are, and b) voting has not yet begun. I would
>> like to see that period be created so that the kind of
>> question/answer/clarify process you mention can happen.
> +1
> Just to add on to that, it would also be nice to have a better place
> for the questions/answers to be stored.

Have you a suggestion for where you would like to see them?

Also regardless of what is formally set up, anyone can ask questions via
the mailing list, that option has been used every election that I have
witnessed, I don't see that changing. I don't think it is reasonable to
ask officials to curate mailing list posts. I think what we are
discussing is something in addition to mailing list discussions. I don't
think anything ever would (or should) replace what comes up on the
mailing list.

Thanks,
Anita.