[openstack-dev] [devstack] devstack-plugin additional-pkg-repos: ocata summit working session?

Markus Zoeller mzoeller at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 11 12:09:33 UTC 2016

Backstory
---------
Some time ago, tonyb and I started the work on a gate testing job which
can install additional packages onto the testing node:

https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/b18a8a6cd1ed3865ff46e654e41b4959c342dc15/jenkins/jobs/devstack-gate.yaml#L536

The installation of the additional packages is done via a
devstack-plugin called "addition-pkg-repos" (apr):

    https://github.com/openstack/devstack-plugin-additional-pkg-repos/

The inital trigger for this was the need to test newer versions of
libvirt and qemu. The plugin itself was supposed to be generic for other
packages too, which makes it also useful for Cinder and Neutron (and
probably others too).

Long story short, I couldn't make any progress there lately due to other
responsibilities. I still see the need for such a plugin though. Right
now I help myself with a Vagrant setup:

https://github.com/markuszoeller/openstack/tree/master/scripts/vagrant/libvirt-qemu-source-U1404-VB

With that, I could successfully test the "virtlogd" feature in Nova
which needs (the 5 week old) Qemu 2.7.0:

    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-virtlogd

Request
-------
My question is, if you have interest in this plugin and its
capabilities, are you at the Summit in Barcelona and do you have time
for a short working session there? Maybe on Friday during the
contributors meetup?

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ocata-nova-summit-meetup

Possible action/discussion items
* How to create a "*.deb" package out of the source code of
libvirt/qemu? (surprisingly enough, I'm still struggling with this)
* How should we specify the packages and versions to install in the gate
job?
* When do we build new packages and increase the version in the gate?
* Actually hack some code and push it

--
Regards, Markus Zoeller (markus_z)