[openstack-dev] [nova] [libvirt] Debugging blockRebase() - "active block copy not ready for pivot"

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 09:06:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> On 10/10/2016 6:26 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
>

>> Also, maybe you have noticed, given Eric's reply on this thread (and the
>> upstream libvir-list), it is agreed that virDomainGetBlockJobInfo()
>> should be fixed "to quit reporting cur==end when ready:false".  This
>> allows the existing Nova code work correctly without any changes.
>>
>> Discusion on Eric's reply in this thread:
>>
>>     http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-Octo
>> ber/105194.html
>>
>> And upstream libvir-list
>>
>>     https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2016-October/
>> msg00347.html
>>

> Yeah, that's goodness long-term, but OpenStack CI won't benefit from that
> for probably at least a couple of years.

The hypervisor is a (the?) critical component of any cloud deployment.
Objectively, it's bizarre that we expect people to deploy our brand new
code to work round things that were fixed in the hypervisor 2 years ago.

Given that's where we are, though, I agree.

Matt
--
Matthew Booth

Phone: +442070094448 (UK)