[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Oct 10 16:51:36 UTC 2016

On 10/10/2016 8:59 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 08:37:53AM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>
>> We had a lot of feedback that the unstructured discussion time from
>> the Friday "meetups" at the summits were the most productive time
>> for teams, but I'm sure there are quite a few cases like what you
>> describe. Maybe the solution is to schedule part, but not all, of
>> the PTG time?
>>
>> It would be hard to say that a particular day is or is not scheduled,
>> because not all teams will have rooms available to them every day.
>> We could slice it the other way, though, and say that multi-project
>> topics should be scheduled in the morning. That still leaves all
>> of the afternoons for less structured discussions. Of course, not all
>> teams will necessarily have multi-project topics.
>
> Having even just one day of scheduled topics might make it easier to
> organize around topics that don't necessarily fall under the "cross
> project" category, yet still affect more than one project and would
> benefit from a set time for all to attend.
>
> Whether that is one day dedicated to that format, or something like AMs
> scheduled, PMs freeform, I do think it is good to have the mix. We've
> been able to make it through a lot of topics by not timeboxing certain
> things, so the unscheduled part definitely has benefit.
>
> The risk with an AM/PM split would be, as an example, that Nova has
> something scheduled that is significant to Cinder, so Cinder has to
> dedicated a scheduled slot to match up with it. Just a thought, but if
> we so split days like that, it might actually be good to have an A track
> and B track, where A tracks have AMs scheduled and B tracks have PMs
> scheduled. Maybe making things more complicated than they need to be,
> but if Nova has scheduled sessions in the morning and Cinder
> unscheduled, it might make it easy to take break and attend the other
> sessions, and vice versa.
>
> Sean (smcginnis)

I think we're probably over-complicating this. The nova/cinder midcycles
have happened at the same time in different timezones for the last two
releases. We've scheduled a time on a particular day and time that works
for both teams to get into a hangout session. Yes it's a scheduled
thing, but it's still pretty informal and when you only have to deal
with maybe a couple of those types of things during a midcycle it's not
overwhelming to plan ahead of time.

If the PTG turns into the design summit with 40 minute blocks of
discussion, it's going to really negatively impact the productivity of
midcycles.

Matt Riedemann