[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Oct 10 13:59:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 08:37:53AM -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> We had a lot of feedback that the unstructured discussion time from
> the Friday "meetups" at the summits were the most productive time
> for teams, but I'm sure there are quite a few cases like what you
> describe. Maybe the solution is to schedule part, but not all, of
> the PTG time?
>
> It would be hard to say that a particular day is or is not scheduled,
> because not all teams will have rooms available to them every day.
> We could slice it the other way, though, and say that multi-project
> topics should be scheduled in the morning. That still leaves all
> of the afternoons for less structured discussions. Of course, not all
> teams will necessarily have multi-project topics.

Having even just one day of scheduled topics might make it easier to
organize around topics that don't necessarily fall under the "cross
project" category, yet still affect more than one project and would
benefit from a set time for all to attend.

Whether that is one day dedicated to that format, or something like AMs
scheduled, PMs freeform, I do think it is good to have the mix. We've
been able to make it through a lot of topics by not timeboxing certain
things, so the unscheduled part definitely has benefit.

The risk with an AM/PM split would be, as an example, that Nova has
something scheduled that is significant to Cinder, so Cinder has to
dedicated a scheduled slot to match up with it. Just a thought, but if
we so split days like that, it might actually be good to have an A track
and B track, where A tracks have AMs scheduled and B tracks have PMs
scheduled. Maybe making things more complicated than they need to be,
but if Nova has scheduled sessions in the morning and Cinder
unscheduled, it might make it easy to take break and attend the other
sessions, and vice versa.

Sean (smcginnis)