[openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron] ML2 plugin for Ironic needs

Vasyl Saienko vsaienko at mirantis.com
Mon Oct 10 08:32:22 UTC 2016

Hello Community,

Ironic and Neutron projects have become integrated even closer with
multitenancy implementation in Ironic.

There are 2 bugs that require separate ML2 driver specifically for Ironic
needs:

   -

   Booting ironic instance, Neutron port remains in down state [0]
   -

   Ironic needs to synchronize port status change events with Neutron [1]

I was told (commented) that keeping code in Neutron tree is not right
approach [2]. Of course I agree that Neutron has powerful and flexible
support of out-of-tree ML2 drivers and such functionality must be a
separate ML2 plugin.

So the question to consult with the whole community:

Do we need a new networking-ironic-* ML2 driver?

To fix [0] and [1] we can use existing networking-generic-switch [3] ML2
driver [4,5]. It was designed specially for Ironic case. It already helps
us to test Ironic multitenancy on the gates.

My team would prefer supporting one driver without multiplying entities.

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1599836

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic/+bug/1304673

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1610898

[3] https://github.com/openstack/networking-generic-switch