[openstack-dev] Kolla-kubernetes new contributors [kolla][kubernetes][kolla-kubernetes]

Ryan Hallisey rhallise at redhat.com
Sat Oct 8 17:15:19 UTC 2016

Hi all,

There has been a bunch of new contributors looking for the best way
to get into kolla-kubernetes community. I want to guide anyone
interested in joining the community by providing some low hanging
fruit as well as a few suggestions.

***Quickstart***

https://github.com/openstack/kolla-kubernetes/blob/master/doc/source/minikube-quickstart.rst

The minikube-quickstart guide is the best doc for getting a single
node deployment working. This guide is what most community members
use and all the steps are tested in the gate.

***Blueprints***

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-kubernetes

First is the launchpad link to the kolla-kubernetes blueprints. I'd
recommend bookmarking that link because it outlines all the work the
community plans to do in the coming cycles.  All the blueprints have
been described and prioritized. If you want to take on a piece of work
there, assign it to yourself or ask a member of the community to
assign it to you.

***Low Hanging Fruit***

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-kubernetes/+spec/cli-replace
- Add kubectl replace command support into the CLI

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-kubernetes/+spec/cluster-map
- Add a CLI feature that provides a map of services in the cluster.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kolla-kubernetes/+spec/dry-run-cli
- The --dry-run flag in the CLI will output all the necessary CLI
commands to start a service.

There's also the remaining services that don't have pods created
for them: Swift, Heat, Ceilometer, MongoDB, ect... The best way
to implement a service is to follow an existing template.

***IRC and Meetings***

The community hangs out in the #openstack-kolla channel on freenode.
Kolla-kubernetes has a slot in the Kolla weekly meeting to discuss
what's going on in the community. Meetings are on Wednesdays at
16:00 UTC in #openstack-meeting-4. If you're going to OpenStack
Summit in Barcelona, there are two scheduled kolla-kubernetes
sessions so be sure not to miss those. In addition, feel free to
reach out to me if you have any questions or want to discuss
anything about the project.

Thanks,
Ryan