[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 7 08:30:17 UTC 2016

Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2016-10-06 11:33:35 -0500:
>> Remember at a high level that the PTG is the replacement for the
>> midcycle meetups, except it's centrally located and organized by the
>> foundation, and it's at the release boundaries rather than the middle.
>>
>> The traditional summit that we're used to is now in the middle of the
>> release and is more for the marketing stuff that happens at the summit
>> whereas the PTG is supposed to be strictly technical and for
>> development, like the design summit.
>
> That's a bit different than the way I understood it. My understanding
> was that it was more like the fishbowls still happen, at the PTG, and the
> work rooms at the end of the week at the PTG would replace the mid-cycles.
>
> If we don't have fishbowls anymore, we are going to end up siloing even
> harder than we already do.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, cross-project efforts will have
time and space in the first part of the PTG week, while vertical teams
will have time and space in the second part of the PTG week. By
separating the time frames dedicated to vertical teams and cross-project
teams, we actually hope to encourage people to break out their natural silo.

It's also worth noting that there will still be cross-community
discussions (think: some Ops with some Devs with some End users in
fishbowls to discuss community-wide topics) at the "Forum" part at the
OpenStack Summit starting in Boston. We don't need *all* developers to
be present, but enough devs (and enough ops and enough end users) should
be present to allow us to successfully close the feedback loop (a bit
similar to what we did with encouraging PTLs and other devs to attend
Ops Summit / Ops midcycles).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)