[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-vpp]Introducing networking-vpp

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:43:17 UTC 2016

On 10/06/2016 03:46 AM, Jerome Tollet (jtollet) wrote:
> Hey Kevin,
>
> Thanks for your interest in this project.
>
> We found etcd very convenient to store desired states as well as
> operational states. It made the design easy to provide production grade
> features (e.g. agent restart, mechanical driver restart, …) in a very
> concise code. In addition to that, debugging is simple to do using
> simple “etcdwatch” commands. Please note that etcd is not an alternative
> to rabbitmq even though communication protocol is HTTP/JSON.

It's probably worth mentioning that the etcd code used in networking-vpp
came from networking-calico?

When I chatted with Ian about this, I actually asked the same question
and Ian told me the code came from networking-calico pretty much as-is.

We can discuss at length about using etcd as the state data store
instead of the Neutron database and using etcd watches as the mechanism
for state change communication, but that will likely end up in lots of
bike-shedding. There's certainly advantages and disadvantages to each
approach.

Best,
-jay