[openstack-dev] [all] Why do we have project specific hacking rules?

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:03:14 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com>
Date: October 5, 2016 at 08:14:40
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Why do we have project specific hacking rules?

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 07:56:15AM -0500, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>
> > So hacking doesn't push out to anyone. It's one of the projects that doesn't
> > get updated by global-requirements updates, if I remember correctly.
>
> Just clarifying/confirming what Ian says.
>
> The proposal-bot does not generate updates to projects *requirements.txt. It's
> up to the projects to do that themselves.
>
> Having said that it *could* all the code is there but it was disabled for a reason.

Right. Thank you for clarifying, Tony.

I believe several projects didn't want Hacking to auto-update and break things. With off-by-default rules (and the proliferation of them in Hacking) I don't think this is the most valid of concerns anymore. The only problem would be that pycodestyle and pyflakes frequently add new checks in releases means that the way Hacking pins Flake8 and itsdependencies is still necessary. We need to figure out how to keep up-to-date with our upstream dependencies without causing problems for projects. Until we do that, we should probably just keep our current methodology of letting projects update when they want to and can afford developer time to update.

--
Ian Cordasco