[openstack-dev] [ironic][docs] What is the policy for backporting docs changes to stable branches?

Pavlo Shchelokovskyy pshchelokovskyy at mirantis.com
Wed Oct 5 12:31:50 UTC 2016

Hi all,

lately I realized that docs for two of the features I was working on during
Newton cycle are absent from Ironic's new install guide [0]. This is my
fault, and I am sorry for missing that out. Currently I am working on
adding those pieces.

The two omissions I am worried about are:

- booting iPXE nodes directly from object storage [1] (already merged to
master)
- proper way of configuring auth info for service clients [2] (on review)

AFAIU the install guide is release-specific and the /newton/ version is
built and published from stable/newton branch. While not having the former
of two patches above in stable release docs is probably no big deal (new
feature), configuring service user auth as currently advised by Ironic's
Newton install guide will work but result in a deprecation warning log
message, which I would find strange having just set Ironic up the
recommended way.

Given the above, should those doc amendments be proposed as backports to
stable/newton once they are merged in master? What is the general policy
for backporting documentation amendments/fixes?

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/project-install-guide/baremetal/newton/
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/379358/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/382358/

Cheers,