[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Project name DB length

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Oct 5 11:55:04 UTC 2016

On 10/03/2016 10:52 AM, gordon chung wrote:

> On 28/09/2016 11:52 PM, Adrian Turjak wrote:
>>
>> Plus although there is no true official standard, most projects in
>> OpenStack seem to use 255 as the default for a lot of string fields.
>> Weirdly enough, a lot of projects seem to use 255 even for project.id,
>> which seeing as it's 64 in keystone, and a uuid4 anyway, seems like a
>> bit of a waste.
>
> this was brought up a year ago[1] as a broader issue in OpenStack. 255
> bytes for id is weird especially as you mentioned if it's only a uuid.
> but yeah, Morgan's reply might reflect why you it is a length of 255.
>
> the original thread died pretty quickly; it didn't seem like an issue to
> anyone or needed fixing... if only there was a global council that
> worked on such technical things :P
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/068104.html
>
> cheers,

Except... the 64 char field in keystone isn't required to be a uuid4.
Which we ran into when attempting to remove it from the URLs in Nova.
There is no validation anywhere that requires that of keystone values.

For instance, Rackspace uses ints.

Yes this is debt. And yes, a few things would be nicer if this was more
constrained, but as was recently stated on twitter, we've been calling
the 9th month the seventh month for 2000 years -
https://twitter.com/GonzoHacker/status/781890649444519937. Some times
the cost of fixing the thing really just isn't worth the potential
breaks to operators that were operating within the old constraints fine.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net