[openstack-dev] [telemetry] Deprecating the Ceilometer API

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Oct 4 21:37:43 UTC 2016

On 04/10/2016 12:35 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04 2016, gordon chung wrote:
>
>> so one thing we probably do need to keep is the ability push samples
>> (and events?). i know previously people were actually using this feature.
>
> That's debatable.
>
> Pushing events is IMHO out of scope of Ceilometer – it's related to
> oslo.messaging notification at this point. So if we want to allow that
> via an API endpoint, we should build one in OpenStack over
> oslo.messaging. Good idea or not, I don't know.
>
> Pushing samples is probably doable with some kind of small API, but I am
> not sure it's worth anything. You could still directly push the data to
> Gnocchi and save some you some load. Unless you have transformers to
> apply, but… really?

i don't know reasoning but agreed, it's more useful if available
generically from something else.

i'll throw another idea out there, this relates to what stevelle
suggested (i think it was him). an api to see live view of services:
amount of messages it's processing at moment, queue sizes, what
pollsters are enabled, maybe be able to dynamically load/remove
pollsters, agent state. if i was not lazy i would look at other pipeline
services right to see what they provide as 'API'.

cheers,
--
gord