[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 20:57:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:31 PM, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 11:54 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
>
> >> In French, "prétendre" has a connotation of "profess" or simply
> >> "say", which is very different from the more negative connotation
> >> of "pretend" in English where common use implies some false intent.
> >> Knowing Thierry and his past contributions well enough to trust his
> >> good intentions, I was able to look past the awkward phrasing to
> >> ask what message he was trying to convey.
> >
> > Yeah, sorry for the poor choice of words, I didn't mean that candidates
> > are trying to deceive anyone. I only meant that in my experience, past
> > members of the TC were overly optimistic in their campaign emails about
> > how much they thought they would be able to achieve. So looking at the
> > past track record is important.
>
> A great example of knowing the person. It sounded harsh to me when I read
> it, too, but knowing Thierry so well, I understood the intent. Had that
> been an anonymous comment, I wouldn’t have made that mental adjustment.
>
> So maybe anonymous isn’t the way to go. But we really do need to do
> several things:
>
> 1) Allow time between the nominations and the voting. Half of the
> candidates don’t announce until the last day or two, and that doesn’t leave
> very much time to get to know them.
>
> 2) I like the idea of identifying the issues that the people of OpenStack
> care about, and having every candidate give their answers. One thing I
> worry about, though, is the time zone difference. Candidate A publishes
> their answers early, and gets a lot of reaction. Candidate Z, in a later
> timezone, publishes their answers after the discussions have played out
> already. Let’s release the answers all at once.
>
> 3) We need to find a way to at least *reduce* the effect of incumbency.
> Not that I have any particular incumbent in mind, of course, but any group
> of people gets set in their ways unless the membership changes regularly.
>
> And let me reiterate: I’m a candidate for the TC, and not an incumbent. So
> of course this seems a bit self-serving, especially to an outsider who
> might not know me very well. But I’m sure that Thierry and Doug and others,
> who have known me for many years, understand my intent: to keep improving
> OpenStack.
>

> -- Ed Leafe

​Just to be "that person", that choice of words in no way seemed harsh or
offensive to me at all.  It's a fact, people can write an email professing
anything they want.  They can even do so without even really having an
understanding of what they may or may not actually be able to do within the
confines of the community and the boundaries that we have to work in out of
necessity and reality.  So nobody wants to offend anyone or say anything
construed as negative or pessimistic... ok; but personally I think that if
your vote is based solely on a candidate's email (stump speech)​ with no
background on who they actually are, what level of involvement, commitment
or capability they possess I think you have a recipe for disaster.  I don't
think that people realize that being a TC member is actually a lot of hard
and not so fun work.

Additionally along those lines, I personally would not be involved or
participate in an election where I was presented with just a candidate's
proposal and responses to email all shielded under anonymity.

Finally, given that Thierry is perhaps the most pragmatic, level headed and
welcoming person that I've encountered in my five years of participating in
OpenStack, I fear that must appear to be a complete Ogre if his statements
were interpreted as harsh or distrusting of people.

Thanks,
John