[openstack-dev] [QA] The end-user test suite for OpenStack clusters

Ken'ichi Ohmichi ken1ohmichi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:02:25 UTC 2016

Hi Timur,

Thanks for your explanation.

>> I am guessing the above "restart nodes" is for verifying each
>> OpenStack service restarts successfully, right?
>
> Yes, this is right. And we also will check that HA logic for these
> services works correctly (for example, rescheduling of L3 Neutron
> agents for networks).
>
>> But these service scripts are provided by distributors, and Devstack
>> itself doesn't contain service scripts IIUC.
>> So I'd like to know how to verify it on Devstack clouds.
>
> Yes, DevStack doesn't support many scenarios which are actual
> and should be supported on the production clouds.
> It will be not possible to run all advanced test scenarios for DevStack
> clouds,
> just because DevStack can't deploy OpenStack cloud with 3 controllers
> now (so, probably it will be possible in the future).
>
> Of course, some advanced scenarios will support DevStack clouds,
> for example, some test scenarios which are based on customer-found
> issues from the real production clouds, like upload of the large images
> (100+ Gb)
> to Glance with Swift backend. Such cases are important for verification of
> pre-production environments, but not very important for CI gate jobs.
>
> It is also important to note that in these advanced cases we are targeting
> to check not only the logic of Python code, but also the correct
> configuration
> of all OpenStack components on some pre-production OpenStack clusters.

I guessed some part of os-faults can be moved to Tempest if os-faults
contains API tests for enabling/disabling OpenStack services.
Then, os-faults would be able to concentrate on more destructive tests
like rebooting physical nodes, etc.
However, I could not find any actual scenarios on current os-faults
(https://github.com/openstack/os-faults).
That seems to just contain some abstraction layers and unit tests. Can
we see actual test scenarios of os-faults ?
Maybe I missed something.

Thanks
Ken Ohmichi