[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 3 21:51:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-03 16:15:01 -0500 (-0500), Edward Leafe wrote:
[...]
> So I think that there is evidence that unless you are already
> well-known, most people aren't going to take the time to dig
> deeper. Maybe anonymous campaigns aren't the answer, but they
> certainly would help in this regard.
[...]

Becoming well-known, at least within our technical community, tends
to be a mark of connectedness with the TC electorate (generally
through some manner of contribution whether that's serving in other
elected positions or working on cross-project efforts or simply
making excellent observations and suggestions on our mailing lists).
People who are relatively unknown in the community will, on the
whole, lack a breadth of experience outside their niche
cross-sections of OpenStack and so have trouble establishing
credibility with their constituency.

As for the anonymity idea, I rely far more on actions and positions
I've seen from candidates over their years of interactions with me
and the rest of the community. If I were forced to rely solely on
pseudonymous (what you described is not actually anonymous since
there would be a unique ID assigned) position statements, I would
mostly just end up attempting to map them to the candidates I knew
were running based on the opinions I know them to hold.
--
Jeremy Stanley