[openstack-dev] TC Candidacy

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:33:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM, John Griffith <john.griffith8 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think what's more important and critical is the future and where
> OpenStack is going over the course of the next few years.

I think this is a really important topic right now!  Do you see any
dangerous road blocks coming up!?

> Do we want our most popular topic at the key-notes to continue being
> customers telling their story of "how hard" it was to do OpenStack?

No ;)

> It's my belief that the TC has a great opportunity (with the right people)
> to take input from the "outside world" and drive a meaningful and
> innovative future for OpenStack.  Maybe try and dampen the echo-chamber a
> bit, see if we can identify some real problems that we can help real
> customers solve.

I think this is where we *all* should be focused - do you think the TC can
offer specific support to the projects here - or is more about just
removing other roadblocks and keeping the community on target?

> I'd like to see us embracing new technologies and ways of doing things.
> I'd love to have a process where we don't care so much about the check
> boxes of what oslo libs you do or don't use in a project, or how well you
> follow the hacking rules; but instead does your project actually work?  Can
> it actually be deployed by somebody outside of the OpenStack community or
> with minimal OpenStack experience?
>
> It's my belief that Projects should offer real value as stand-alone
> services just as well as they do working with other OpenStack services.

Very controversial (surprisingly?)!  Why do you think this is important?
Do you think this is in conflict with the goal of OpenStack as one
community?

> Feel free to ask me about my thoughts on anything specific, I'm happy to
> answer any questions that I can as honestly as I can.

Don't mind if I do ;)

-Clay