[openstack-dev] [tc] open question to the candidates

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Oct 3 16:03:51 UTC 2016

On 16-10-03 11:30 AM, gordon chung wrote:
> hi,
>
> as there are many candidates this TC election, i figured i'd ask a
> question to better understand the candidates from the usual sales pitch
> in self-nominations. hopefully, this will give some insights into the
> candidates for those who haven't voted yet. obviously, the following is
> completely optional. :)
>
> i initially asked this to John Dickinson[1] in his self-nomination. i'd
> like to open this up to everyone. the (re-worded) question is:
>
> the TC has historically been a reactive council that lets others ask for
> change and acts as the final approver. do you believe the TC should be a
> proactive committee that initiates change and if yes, to what scope?
> more generally, what are some specific issues you'd like the TC address
> in the coming year?
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-September/104821.html
>
> thanks,

Thanks Gord:

My view of the technical committee is that it is in place to solve
actual problems not to chase after things which may or may not be a
problem. One of the best ways to identify if some issue is a problem is
for someone to identify it is a problem for them. Issues have been
raised by members of the community approaching the technical committee,
issues have also been raised by technical committee members themselves.

Whether something is considered reactive or proactive is often based on
their personal perception as events unfold. Sometimes some members feel
something should be addressed but need the correct alignment of events
to occur for the community to agree.

I think one of the largest issues we will face in the coming year is
what does it mean now that the projects will be meeting at the project
team gathering in Atlanta in February and the Conference will take place
in Boston later in the spring. These events affect a lot of people and
many folks will be confused about what can and can't be accomplished in
the separate spaces and also the symbology of what this means to them,
their work and their business plans. I think the Foundation has be
proactive in communicating this. I think the technical committee to date
has been proactive in recognizing this is a need. I think the next
technical committee with have to do both proactive communicating and
reactive redirecting as folks move toward these events, at these events
and following up these events. I think these events are much on people's
minds and the technical committee needs to continue to communicate the
workflow and expectation of these events in concert with the Foundation
as it has done thus far.

Thank you,
Anita.