[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Nov 29 17:37:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-29 11:27 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I think we also need to look harder at the reasons for driver-only
> developer teams seeking official status. If it's because they want
> to be part of the community and help collaborate with the rest of
> us, then as long as they can do that consistent with our overall
> goals and ideals I think that's great and we should welcome them as
> one of us. If the reason is because they feel it raises the profile
> of their products within the OpenStack ecosystem or conveys an
> implication of better OpenStack support on their platforms, then we
> should work harder as a community to dispel that notion (even if it
> means we need to actively sabotage the "tent" as a marketing
> platform) and find other places for companies to advertise the level
> of OpenStack support their customers should expect.

I think Jeremy raises a very important point here. What is the
motivation on the part of the driver-only teams?

I personally assumed far too much collaborative intent when I got
involved with supporting the path to third party testing for drivers. My
eyes have since been opened. While there are a few driver maintainers
that are motivated to be collaborative and help others (thank you so
much) they are far from the norm.

I've taken some time away from keyboard to navel gaze a bit and been
quite enjoying it. I've been able to think about some of the material
offered to us during the leadership training in June, particularly
thinking about groups that are successful in creating an environment of
collaboration. I found that one of the most important aspects of groups
that do create and maintain a collaborate atmosphere for all concerned
is the ability to ensure that all concerned are motivated to create a
collaborative environment. Businesses offered as case studies in the
literature provided by Zingermans, create a reciprocally beneficial
collaborative environment through rigorous filtering during interview
and selection processes as well as a commitment to help people move
along should it be evident that they are not motivated by collaborative
intent. OpenStack can't apply the process but it can align with the
spirit of the intent, should OpenStack continue to want to create a
collaborative environment for all concerned.

Some may feel excluded and that is their choice, as long as there is
always a door way in for those that make the choice of having their
actions motivated by collaboration for the benefit of all concerned.

Thank you,
Anita.