[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer] let's talk about volume=1 meters (again)

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Nov 29 16:16:18 UTC 2016

hi,

i should preface the below is arguably not important if we have ability
to count events and alarm against panko.

~~

we recently removed all our volume=1 meters in ceilometer and while i
cleaning things up some residual stuff i started to wonder if we took
out too much. (yes, i'm aware of that i was that guy who led this effort)

i'm not talking about bringing back the 'instance', 'volume', etc...
meters because they were measuring nothing (or it measured everything as
some giant, unintelligible, blob meter). there are also stuff like
<resource>.created|deleted 'meters' which are one off events only useful
at maybe a project level. that said, i think some of the identity
volume=1 meters we generated from keystone notifications might have a
use case which allowed you to maybe alarm when too many
'identity.authenticate.failure' events were received in a given timespan.

so my question is, it it worth taking a second look at volume=1 meters
or is this just a gap in our events api?

cheers,
--
gord