[openstack-dev] [kolla][release][requirements] providing constraints for transitive dependencies

Jeffrey Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 02:53:59 UTC 2016

FWIW, python dependencies are fixed.
Kolla is using the following command in Dockerfile for source code
installation.

    pip install -u /requirements/upper-constrains.txt /nova

then all python dependencies installed will use a fixed version from
upper-constrains.txt.

[0]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/requirements-management.html
[1]
https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/upper-constraints.txt

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hey folks,
>

> I get a lot of requests for variance reduction of transitive dependencies
> in Kolla’s containers.  As an example, we build from source nova.  Nova
> itself we can specify a version to install in the containers during build
> time.  Nova’s python dependencies, not so much.  Is there a best practice
> for doing such in the python ecosystem?
>

> Binary distributions don’t typically suffer from this problem.  They
> deliver one version of dependencies, and that is what you get.  That is
> what a slew of folks are after with from source container builds.  Any
> advice from the requirements team or release team welcome as the folks on
> those teams have the most experience with this sort of thing.
>

> If this has been asked by someone else in a different context and
> answered, a pointer to that discussion would work too J
>

> Thanks!
>
> -steve

Regards,
Jeffrey Zhang