[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Exposing project team's metadata in README files

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Nov 27 22:54:10 UTC 2016

On 10/12/2016 02:50 PM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> One of the common complains about the existing project organization in
> the big
> tent is that it's difficult to wrap our heads around the many projects
> there
> are, their current state (in/out the big tent), their tags, etc.
>
> This information is available on the governance website[0]. Each official
> project team has a page there containing the information related to the
> deliverables managed by that team. Unfortunately, I don't think this
> page is
> checked often enough and I believe it's not known by everyone.
>
> In the hope that we can make this information clearer to people browsing
> the
> many repos (most likely on github), I'd like to propose that we include the
> information of each deliverable in the readme file. This information
> would be
> rendered along with the rest of the readme (at least on Github, which
> might not
> be our main repo but it's the place most humans go to to check our
> projects).
>
> Rather than duplicating this information, I'd like to find a way to just
> "include it" in the Readme file. As far as showing the "official" badge
> goes, I
> believe it'd be quite simple. We can do it the same way CI tags are
> exposed when
> using travis (just include an image). As for the rest of the tags, it might
> require some extra hacking.
>
> So, before I start digging more into this, I wanted to get other
> opinions/ideas
> on this topic and how we can make this information more evident to the
> rest of
> the community (and people not as familiar with our processes as some of
> us are).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Flavio

Flavio,

While your work seem a good idea to me, you may have been a bit too
quick editing the deb-* repos. Let me explain.

You've opened hundreds of change requests on the openstack/deb-* Gerrit
repository. They are all failing the gate, which is expected.

1/ These changes have nothing to do there, they are to be done on
upstream code.

2/ Never one should touch the master branch of these repositories (only
debian/* are to be edited).

Please abandon all of your changes for the deb-* Gerrit repos.

Thanks for that work anyway,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)