[openstack-dev] [kolla] the alternative of log processing tool

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Nov 27 20:45:52 UTC 2016

Jeffrey,

Logstash-forwarder is deprecated upstream, so we can’t rely on that.  Elastic's replacement is filebeat.

I’m not sure which one meets the requirements – filebeat or fluentd.  In kolla-kubernetes fluentd is being used, and is well maintained.  Both implementations are pretty green IMO.  Not sure if fluentd also does log processing.  I think its crucial to pick a component that just does log forwarding since that is the part that was deprecated.

Our system has no log stash at all in it, and I’d like to keep it that way.  Logstash is unnecessary for our use case.  What we want is forwarder->es->cabana.  Whatever forwarder is chosen, recommend picking the best of the two choices.  I’d start with defining best as “does it solve the same problem as Heka does in our current implementation” then sprinkle throughput and minimal cpu and network utilization on top.  If we can’t make a decision from there, not sure I have any further suggestions as I am not writing the code.

Regards
-steve