[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Exposing project team's metadata in README files

Zara Zaimeche zara.zaimeche at codethink.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 18:09:48 UTC 2016

On 25/11/16 17:51, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-11-25 17:41:07 +0000 (+0000), Miles Gould wrote:
>> I don't think this is an insurmountable problem: it should be possible to
>> allow users to switch between "code view" and "rendered view" for file-types
>> that support rendering.
>
> Yes, it's "just" a matter of writing some code (and convincing cgit
> upstream to support it). However, we already have automation to
> continuously deploy rendered readme files and any other
> documentation you want to write on docs.openstack.org or
> readthedocs.org. Why would having a rendered readme at
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/bindep/tree/README.rst
> be a better user experience than
> http://docs.openstack.org/infra/bindep/readme.html ?

Hi,

To add some detail, if you wanted to patch cgit, I believe you would
need to extend the filter API, to include something between about-filter
(https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n666 ; this renders a
specific file differently in the 'about' tab of the repo) and
source-filter (https://git.zx2c4.com/cgit/tree/cgitrc.5.txt#n690 ; this
renders all source code with a particular extension, in-place ), and
then patch the specific cgit instance config to use the new filter. I
don't know whether cgit upstream would be receptive to this change, and
I think OpenStack's existing infrastructure for documentation means
there's little gain from doing it.

Best Wishes,

Zara