[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Exposing project team's metadata in README files

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 14:00:12 UTC 2016

On 25/11/16 13:46 +0000, Amrith Kumar wrote:
>Flavio,
>
>I see a number of patches[1] which have been landed on this project but I find
>that at least the ones that were landed for Trove, and a random sampling of
>the others all to be different from what you proposed below[2] in one
>important aspect.
>
>In [2] you proposed a structure where the title of the document; or the first,
>and most prominent heading, would be the existing heading of the document, and
>the tags would be below that. In [2] for example, that was:
>
>"kombu - Messaging library for Python"
>
>and the tags would be in smaller font below that.

Hey Amrith,

One reason it's different from Kombu is because Kombu uses shields as a backend
for this SVGs, whereas we don't. We generate the badges ourselves[0], which
probably ended up in some differences.

The other main difference in the kombu case, there are multiple images in the
README, wherease in our case there's one SVG containing multiple svgs. The
motivation behind this is being able to update the badges without sending
patches to projects everytime the governance repo is modified.

This layout and format can of couse be modified, the font size and family can be
changed, etc. See[1].

>What I see in [3] the patch for Trove and the proposed example [4] is:
>
>"Team and repository tags" as the first, and most conspicuous header, and the
>header "Trove" below that.
>
>In some cases the second header is the same font as the "Team and repository
>tags" header.

I explained this a bit here[2]. The reason for prepending these secion to the
README's instead of finding a good place in it is that READMEs throughout
OpenStack are quite different from each other and putting this at the top helped
in making the process of adding the badges simpler.

>I think this change (these 124 changes) as proposed are not consistent with
>the proposal you made below, and certainly seem to be less suitable than that
>proposal. The end product for the four trove repositories [4], [5], [6], and
>[7]
>
>I think we should have a discussion on the ML whether we feel that this new
>structure is the appropriate one, and before some projects approve these
>changes and others don't that these be all marked WF-1.

I honestly don't think the current proposal is bad, it's different from Kombu
for the reasons I mentioned above but it can be improved. Not that improving the
badges and their layout doesn't require submitting these patches again. It'll be
enough to modify the governance repo that generates these images.

Hope this helps,
Flavio

[0] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/doc/source/_exts/badges.py
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/399278/